Friday, November 23, 2007

Am I crazy?

Some mornings I wake up and think to myself “Are you nuts?” What are you doing? At these times I feel like a circus performer that is balanced on a large ball, only this ball is rolling down the side of a hill and I am scrambling to keep up. So much to do, so much to decide, am I doing the right thing? If I let my head follow this fear thinking I would have to crawl into a hole somewhere and never come out. The reality is that the ball is already rolling and it would really hurt if I tried to stop it now. Besides it’s what I want to do. So if any of the doubts turn out to be a problem I will deal with them as they arise. I have never been the type of person to just wander around from place to place. I have always had a home, family, work or organization (Army) to which I have been attached, roots if you will. This move seems totally foreign to my way of being.
I have a friend who, when we were young men, decided to travel the world with just a back pack, his self confidence and a plan to guide him. His plan, as I understood it was, warm weather, palm trees, large bodies of salt water and soft bodies of warm women. I saw him as a potted plant that could be moved from place to place and still thrive. Yet I saw myself as a tree that could only survive if rooted to safe spot. I had even written a poem that described myself as a tree.

If I were a tree.
I would be a southern yellow pine, tall and strait.
Rough on the outside, soft and warm on the inside.
Deep rooted, dependable and useful to the world
Children would swing from my limbs and dogs would pee on my feet.

Now I find that I have a new plan. When it gets cold drive south, when it gets hot drive north.

So, on with the adventure.

No comments: