Monday, April 14, 2008

Lazy days at the Shank plantation

I had complaints that my last blog post was out of order. It was not listed as last date first and I was not doing it right and that I needed to correct my next post. So here is the newest entry to the oldest entry.
Ps. You can click on any April Picture and go to the web photo album for April.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Well my aunt Martha returned from the hospital today, everyone is happy that she’s back, especially the animals.



The weather has gone from cold and sunshiny to cold, overcast with drizzle.

I signed up for another couple of classes at the William Holland School of Lapidary Arts,
http://www.lapidaryschool.org/ this morning. So it looks like I am going to be in Franklin NC from April 19 through May 4th then back to Young Harris, GA to the lapidary school from May 5th through the 24th. They added a bunch of classes that they didn’t have when I signed up for the original class. One that I really wanted to get into had one opening left. It is “Cutting Opals”. Cutting gemstones has always been a craft that I have always wanted to do but until now I have never gotten around to it.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Following the storm a cold front went through and the temperature this morning is in the low 40’s and expected to drop another 10 degrees by Wednesday. I plan to leave here on Thursday morning and go in to even colder temperatures. I am breaking my base rule of “when it gets cold drive south”. The thing is that it is nice during the day when the sun is out. Temperatures run in the 60’s and with no wind the weather is almost perfect. Hopefully by the 19th when I arrive in Franklin NC the cold front will have moved on. I have to expect some cooler weather just as long it doesn’t last too long and it isn’t bitter cold. Cutter is lying on the floor shivering; I put a towel over him to help him retain heat. The main reason he is cold is that he wanted to go out at 5am and I just let him back in around 7. He has to learn to do his business quickly so I can let him back in before I fall back asleep. We will get it worked out. He’s stopped shivering already and is snoring.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday morning and the weather has been great, until last night. My cousin Marty told me we were in for a big storm but it was more like a little shower where we were. TV radar did show a large storm passing through Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia; some areas had high winds and tornado warnings.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Around noon, my cousin Marty (when we were kids we call her “sister” or “little Martha”)



asked me to help Martha into the car as she was feeling dizzy and was out of breath. Marty took her to the local clinic and later they took her to the hospital in Griffin GA. She had become dehydrated and had a light infection. She seems ok now but they are keeping her until Monday just to make sure and to run a few tests.

I went to Katie's, with most of the rest of the Shank clan, for dinner. Katie is one of Billy and Paula Shank's daughters.



Carter is Katie's son. Here he is hiding behind a glass of tea



Click on Carters picture and check out the rest of the crowd.
We all stayed after dinner and plade a card game called "Hand & Foot".

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Today I went into Thomaston GA. and got the window repaired. I had about an hour to kill while the guy cut and installed the glass in the frame, so I went to the Piggly Wiggly. For those of you who are not southern born, a Piggly Wiggly is a grocery store. I picked up some fresh produce, fruit and a couple of other items, and then I drove around town. I still had 40 minutes to kill. Thomaston is not very big, but it’s about 900 times bigger than Molena. Thomaston is a typical small Georgia town. Like most it has a town square that houses the local Government center.
Some have parks as the town square which is nice. Most small southern towns are of older construction (which I like) and most are in need of repair (which I don’t like). Much like the American infrastructure the small town is in need of repair at a time when its economy is struggling to survive. I have a feeling that I will discover that Georgia isn’t the only state where this phenomena is occurring.
I picked up the new window glass that he installed in to its frame and happily paid the man the $15.00 he requested, which to me was a bargain in anybody’s book. I returned to Martha’s and installed the window.

After posting this entry from newest to oldest I think it is more confusing and a pain in the neck to try to read, so regardless of the way it is SUPPOSED to be I am going to post oldest to newest if I have more than one entry in each post.
AV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gooch ....
First I have had a look at your site since I've been back in the country.... keep on "postin" nice to read about your adventures.