Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mountain Lake

Monday, April 28, 2008

It rained pretty good last night and the temp dropped around 9am about 15 degrees. The river has risen about 8 to 10 inches. Nothing to worry about; however they were telling me about a night three years ago, after the tail end of a hurricane went through, the river rose 10 feet. Most of the campground was under four feet of water and several trailers were lost. A house that was upstream from the campground was washed into the river and 3 people died. I don’t have anything to worry about I’m a good 20 feet above the river so no matter how much it rains I will be high and dry. But it is interesting to see how much more powerful the river is today than yesterday. I wonder what the lower falls looks like today.

I decided to ride the back road up to the lake before it got any colder. It looks like the rain will not be an issue, the river has already started going down by Monday afternoon. The Back road, though pretty, is not as scenic as the Highlands road. The lake is nice, it's at an elevation of around 4000 feet. It was windy when I took these pictures. I bet it really looks nice when the water is glassy.



A valley on the back road was very impressive, but the picture does not give you the depth of the valley and the steepness of the hills.



Thursday, April 29, 2008
The temperature definitely dropped last night it was 38 degrees at 7am. And of course, Cutter needed to do some business with the local flora when we got up. So I rode my bike down to the local grassy strip with my buddy hopping behind me. He must have thought it was a little cool as well, because he wasted no time and was headed back to the trailer.

This evening, if it isn’t too cold, I had planned to go to the last game of the season for the Franklin Panthers High School baseball team. It is supposed to get colder tonight than it did last night, so we will see when the time comes. The Game is at 4:30pm and the temperature has normally been fairly warm in the early evening so I might take a chance.

AV

No comments: